Fruit and vegetable juices are a good source of fluids and can be enjoyed every day as part of a healthy balanced diet.
Fruit and vegetable juices are the liquid portion of the fruit or vegetable with or without the pulp. It’s important to realise that fruit drinks differ from fruit juices, as fruit drinks contain at least 5 per cent fruit juice by law.
Just one glass of fruit or vegetable juice can provide a range of important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, folate, potassium and antioxidants. Many fruit and vegetable juices also have a low Glycemic Index (GI).
Did you know that a small glass of fruit juice daily can count as a serve of fruit? But eating whole fruit remains an important part of a balanced diet, particularly because of the fibre they can provide.
Below is a quick snap shot of the nutritional attributes of fruit and vegetable juices:
- Fruit juices can provide at least a third of a child’s vitamin C intake and a quarter of an adult’s vitamin C recommended intake in Australia
- Most fruit juice and vegetable juices are a rich source of vitamin C, and can also provide potassium
- Some juices can also contribute significantly to folate intake in the Australian diet
- There has been emerging interest in some juices and their polyphenol content – also referred to as antioxidants. Antioxidants can help protect against free radical damage – think of antioxidants as one of body’s defence mechanisms protecting against life stresses. Examples of fruit juices that can be particularly high in antioxidants include grape, apple, blackcurrant and cranberry. Examples of vegetable juices are tomato and carrot
- Many fruit juices and vegetables juices have a low GI providing a slow energy release to help you through the day. Fructose, a natural fruit sugar in fruit juice, has a low GI.
Enjoy a glass of juice daily, as part of your healthy balanced diet, to help top up your fruit intake and for all the nutrients they can provide! Consider individual intakes in relation to age, gender, your levels of physical activity and any other special requirements you may have.
Discover more about our great juice brands.