May 5, 2010
James Squire, the pioneer of craft beer in Australia, has unveiled its latest brew: James Squire Malt Runner. The limited edition beer is the most recent seasonal brew created by the team at Malt Shovel Brewery and will be available nationally from June 2010.
Tony Jones, James Squire Chief Brewer, said, “Malt Runner lives up to its name – the beer is a complex blend of malt flavours that has a full body without being too bitter. This was a challenge because we wanted to balance the malt with something other than the usual big hop character. The addition of cherry juice, which added a subtle acidity to the brew, proved to be the solution.
“The resulting beer has rich, chocolate-like qualities with a hint of cherry, and a smooth, caramel malt finish; perfect for savouring on a cold winter’s night.”
Malt Runner is the fifth such limited release, following other seasonal brews including James Squire Hop Thief, James Squire Pepperberry Winter Ale and James Squire Rum Rebellion Porter. The 2008 Summer limited edition, James Squire Sundown Lager, was so popular with consumers that it is now part of the permanent range.
Chuck Hahn, James Squire Master Brewer, says the new brew took some time to develop. “Malt Runner is the result of months of tinkering and fine tuning by the brewers at Malt Shovel Brewery,” explains Hahn. “Our brewers love experimenting to find interesting and innovative interpretations of classic beers. Malt Runner is similar in style to a German Bock but, at a more modest 5.2 per cent ABV, is technically more a dark lager.”
Malt Runner is limited to just 9,000 cartons and will be available on-tap at James Squire brewhouses nationally.
A six-pack of James Squire Malt Runner will have a RRP of $18.99, while a carton will be available at $59.99 RRP ($19.99 and $60.99 in South Australia).
1. A German Bock is defined as a strong German lager with an ABV of at least 6.3%.
For more information, product images or an interview request contact:
About Malt Shovel Brewery
James Squire is a pioneer of craft beer in Australia, committed to creating exceptional, flavoursome and truly unique beers.
The beers are hand-crafted, each with its own distinctive flavour, amazing aroma and rich colour. The James Squire beers are truly enjoyable to drink. The dedicated team of brewers use their experience, knowledge and passion to create a range of exceptional, authentic craft beer styles using only the finest and freshest ingredients.
James Squire has won countless awards, trophies and medals for its permanent range of beer, including: Original Amber Ale, Golden Ale, Sundown Lager, Pilsener, India Pale Ale and Porter. Most notably, James Squire was titled Champion Australasian Brewery in 2000 and 2003 at the Australian International Beer Awards and was awarded the best Bohemian style Pilsener at the World Beer Cup 2008.
James Squire distinctive beers are ideal to pair with food. The character-filled and diverse flavours of the range perfectly complement or contrast many great dishes. James Squire has won five out of six medals at the 2009 Australian International Beer Awards: Silver for Golden Ale, Bronze for Pilsener, Bronze for Amber Ale, Bronze for I.P.A and Bronze for Sundown Lager.
Venues to serve James Squire Malt Runner on-tap
- James Squire Brewhouse – King St Wharf, Sydney
- Marlborough Hotel – 145 King Street, Newtown
- Northern Star Hotel – 112 Beaumont Street, Hamilton
- James Squire Brewhouse – 493 Docklands Drive, Docklands
- The Portland Hotel – 115-127 Russell Street, Melbourne
- Grand Central Hotel – 270 Ann Street, Brisbane
- The Norman Hotel – 102 Ipswich Road, Buranda
- The Belvedere Hotel – Oxley Avenue, Woody Point
- The Full Moon Hotel – 118 Eagle Terrace, Sandgate
- The Spotted Cow – 296 Ruthven St Cnr Ruthven and Campbell Streets, Toowoomba
- The Generous Squire – Cnr Shafto Lane & Murray Street Perth CBD
- The Grosvenor Hotel – 399 Hay Street, East Perth
- The Norfolk Hotel – South Terrace, Fremantle
- Earl of Leicester Hotel – 85 Leicester Street, Parkside
- The Wheatsheaf Hotel – 39 George Street, Thebarton
- Wellington Hotel – 36 Wellington Square, North Adelaide
- The Holdfast Bay Hotel – 83 Brighton Road, Glenelg South
- The Elephant – 20 Vaughan Place, Adelaide
- The Squires Bounty – Salamanca Place, Hobart
- All Bar Nun – MacPherson Crescent, O’Connor
- Edgar’s Inn – 1 Edgar Street, Ainslie