Hide
Please enter a keyword

Our History

Formed by the amalgamation of some of Australia and New Zealand’s most celebrated food and beverage companies, Lion has a rich local heritage.

1898


The Albert Brewery and Hobson Bridge Brewery amalgamate to create Campbell & Ehrenfried.

1888


The South Australian Brewing Company is formed through a merger of the West End Brewery, the Kent Town Brewery and wine and spirits merchant Rounsevell & Simms.

1878

The first brew is produced in the Castlemaine Milton Brewery.

The Ehrenfried brothers buy the Albert Brewery in Auckland.

1877

The Fitzgerald brothers form a partnership with Kate Quinlan, George Gray and Robert Prendergast with the intent to build a brewery in Brisbane. They purchase the failing Milton Distillery and much of the surrounding land.

1875


The Standard Brewery opens near Sydney's Central Station and Tooheys prospers.

1872


John Thomas Toohey and his younger brother, James Matthew, join forces and buy the Darling Brewery in Sydney. The brothers begin trading as JT & J Toohey and give Australia its first taste of Tooheys Old.

1861


Pioneer brewer Richard Seccombe founds the Great Northern Brewery at Khyber Pass. He uses the Lion from his family crest as its logo.

1859

The West End Brewery is established by William Clark in Hindley Street, Adelaide. West End Draught is born.

1857

Early West Australian settler Frederick Sherwood establishes the original Swan Brewery, in what is now the suburb of Sherwood Court in Perth. Swan Draught is born.

1840


LD Nathan established as a trading company in Russell, New Zealand and moved to Auckland soon after.